In Customer Service, It’s Little Things That Matter
If you have followed Nutanix at all over the past few years, you’d know that our commitment to our customers is one of the foundational pillars of our business. We measure our success not on how much product we sell, but on our customers’ belief in us and how we’re able to work with them to solve any challenge they face in the datacenter. That’s why we’re proud that for the fifth year in a row, we have received the Omega NorthFace ScoreBoard Award for excellence in customer service delivery. This year is also the fourth in a row that our Net Promoter Score (NPS) has averaged over 90, compared to the technology industry’s mid-30’s average score.
For the past 15 years, NPS has been the gold standard by which customer service organizations are measured, and that’s one of the reasons we’re so proud of our high score. But while we’re committed to maintaining excellence, you might be surprised to learn that we don’t mindlessly obsess over it. We don’t even set annual targets.
Instead, we focus on doing the little things that make a difference to our customers right. The math behind this is startlingly simple. If you get 1% better each day for one year, you’ll end up 37X better (!) by the time you’re done. In contrast, if you get 1% worse each day for one year, you’ll decline nearly down to zero.
But it only works if you are consistent. And relentless. And obsessive. And inquisitive. These are core values we have firmly entrenched in our DNA which result in our fanatical dedication to:
- Responding to customers promptly (our response times lead the industry)
- Resolving issues quickly (our resolution times are among the best)
- Empowering our team to ensure every action and decision is made with long term customer retention in mind (we want customers for life)
- Providing a superb customer experience (all our support engineers are trained in CX. They are polite, professional and highly competent)
- Making and meeting commitments (we all hate when these aren’t kept)
- Driving issues to their root cause to improve both product and service delivery shortcomings (we are obsessive about fixing the issue, not just the symptom)
- Following up with 100 percent of customers to secure their feedback (encouraging them to provide even more!)
- Creating an unmatched culture where we provide meaningful work for our support engineers and connect effort and reward so they can take great pride in solving complex problems (our support engineers LOVE working at Nutanix! And it is reflected in their interactions with customers)
These seemingly small actions, magnified over time, result in a powerful culture that produces extraordinary results that customers love and appreciate. Results that are better than anything which could be produced through obsessive worrying about NPS scores and tedious tracking toward daily, monthly and annual targets.
When we started our NPS program at Nutanix seven years ago, our score was more than 50 percent lower than it is today. By focusing on these small things, that score has risen to one of the highest in the industry. Every day, organizations are challenged with the same question: “Today, you have got a decision to make. You’re either going to get better or you’re going to get worse. Which will it be?”
We decided to get better.
© 2018 Nutanix, Inc. All rights reserved. Nutanix and the Nutanix logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Nutanix, Inc. in the United States and other countries. All other brand names mentioned herein are for identification purposes only and may be the trademarks of their respective holder(s).