Simplest Path to Production-Ready Kubernetes in Private Data Center
SAN JOSE, Calif. – APRIL 16, 2019 – Nutanix, Inc. (NASDAQ: NTNX), a leader in enterprise cloud computing, today announced the general availability of its Certified Kubernetes solution, Nutanix Karbon. Karbon is part of the Nutanix Cloud Native stack, bringing production-ready Kubernetes, persistence for Kubernetes applications, observability and monitoring for dynamic containers, and managed databases in one simple to deploy and manage offering. With this introduction, Nutanix customers will be able to leverage reliable, automated, secure and efficient services together with the Nutanix Enterprise Cloud Platform to develop and run both their virtual machine and container-based applications on-premises.
According to IDC, the container infrastructure software market is forecasted to grow from $131.1 million in 2017 to $1.55 billion in 2022, with most of the growth coming from on-premises deployments. Though much of the adoption to date has been with web-scale companies, it is now beginning to expand into enterprises. “Enterprises are just beginning to learn the technologies and change how they approach development and operations. Most enterprises are in research and experimentation mode, with only a very small elite segment having any real experience or deployments of containers today.” 1
Through Nutanix’s Cloud Native offerings, companies will be able to take advantage of simple, reliable on-prem tooling and automation required for fast development and continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) of scale-out applications for a cloud-like Kubernetes experience on-prem. This includes simple and fast deployment of Kubernetes in a private cloud, persistent block and file storage via CSI driver, observability for their cloud-native applications and, once available, S3-compatible storage — all delivered with modern simplicity using the Nutanix Enterprise Cloud Platform that includes:
- Nutanix Karbon: A simplified and production-ready Certified Kubernetes distribution that simplifies the provisioning, operations and lifecycle management of Kubernetes with a native experience. Karbon is included in the Nutanix Enterprise Cloud Platform.
- Nutanix Volumes & Files: One of the more challenging aspects of cloud native applications is persistence. With Nutanix’s Container Storage Interface (CSI) and Volumes & Files products, adding high-performance storage to Kubernetes is simplified.
- Nutanix Buckets: A software-defined object storage solution that will be able to non-disruptively scale-out while lowering overall costs. It’s designed with an S3-compatible REST API interface to handle from terabytes to petabytes of unstructured data. Customers using Buckets will be able to natively leverage erasure coding, compression, and deduplication to optimize their capacity utilization. This S3-compatible platform will be able to be leveraged as central storage for all DevOps use-cases. Buckets is expected to be generally available by summer of 2019.
- Nutanix Xi Epoch: An observability and monitoring service for cloud native applications that provides end-to-end real-time visibility into distributed application architecture, powered by 250+ technology native integrations. With Xi Epoch, customers gain insights into application, infrastructure, and orchestration management issues, enabling them to increase the reliability and performance of their Cloud Native applications.
- Nutanix Era: A database administration tool that brings simplicity and invisible operations to database provisioning and lifecycle management (LCM). With one-click database provisioning and Copy Data Management (CDM) as its first services, organizations can provision, clone, refresh, and backup their databases to any point in time in just a few minutes.
“Enterprises want to take advantage of Kubernetes to modernize their applications and increase the speed of software development. With Karbon they can now deploy and operate Kubernetes with a cloud-like experience in their private data center without having to master building and maintaining Kubernetes,” said Greg Muscarella, vice president, products at Nutanix. “Nutanix’s full cloud native stack will be able to provide a simple and quick way to deploy highly available Kubernetes clusters with the persistent storage, enterprise grade data services, object storage, and observability and monitoring that today’s enterprises need.”
“Leveraging Nutanix Karbon, we can deploy a Kubernetes cluster in just a few minutes,” said Zach Hilliard, Senior Director of SREs at Cyxtera. “Prior to Karbon, this process was complex, tedious and very time-consuming. Now, we can focus more on our cloud native applications and not worry about the Kubernetes infrastructure.”
To learn more about Nutanix Cloud Native solutions, read this blog and check out events at Nutanix’s conference, .NEXT Anaheim at .NEXT Developer Day. Hear from developers of Nutanix software and APIs and learn how to take advantage of cloud-native development solutions in the private cloud. After lunch, our most innovative customers will share how Nutanix has made their developers’ lives better, and then we’ll get hands-on in a lab of your choice.
- Date: May 7, 2019
- Location: Anaheim, CA
Nutanix is a global leader in cloud software and hyperconverged infrastructure solutions, making infrastructure invisible so that IT can focus on the applications and services that power their business. Companies around the world use Nutanix Enterprise Cloud OS software to bring one-click application management and mobility across public, private and distributed edge clouds so they can run any application at any scale with a dramatically lower total cost of ownership. The result is organizations that can rapidly deliver a high-performance IT environment on demand, giving application owners a true cloud-like experience. Learn more at www.nutanix.com or follow us on Twitter @nutanix.
© 2019 Nutanix, Inc. All rights reserved. Nutanix, the Nutanix logo and the other Nutanix products and features mentioned herein are registered trademarks or trademarks of Nutanix, Inc. in the United States and other countries.
Director, Public Relations
This press release contains express and implied forward-looking statements, including, but not limited to, statements regarding our business plans and objectives, the benefits and capabilities of our Cloud Native stack, and the availability of the Nutanix Buckets product. These forward-looking statements are not historical facts and instead are based on current expectations, estimates, opinions, and beliefs. Consequently, you should not rely on these forward-looking statements. The accuracy of such forward-looking statements depends upon future events and involves risks, uncertainties, and other factors beyond our control that may cause these statements to be inaccurate and cause actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially and adversely from those anticipated or implied by such statements, including, among others: failure to develop, or unexpected difficulties or delays in developing, new products, services, product features or technology in a timely or cost-effective basis; delays in the availability of the Nutanix Buckets product; the introduction, or acceleration of adoption of, competing solutions; and other risks detailed in our quarterly report on Form 10-Q for our fiscal quarter ended January 31, 2019, filed with the SEC on March 12, 2019. Our SEC filings are available on the Investor Relations section of the company website at ir.nutanix.com and on the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date of this press release and, except as required by law, we assume no obligation to update forward-looking statements to reflect actual results or subsequent events or circumstances.
1 IDC Market Forecast, Worldwide Container Infrastructure Software Forecast, 2018–2022, December 2018, #US43408318