Record Revenue of $192 Million Up 67 Percent YOY; Record Number of Large Deals; Expanding Market Opportunity with HPE and IBM Hardware
SAN JOSE, Calif. — May 25, 2017 — Nutanix, Inc. (NASDAQ:NTNX), a leader in enterprise cloud computing, today announced financial results for its third quarter of fiscal 2017, ended April 30, 2017.
This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170525005851/en/
Third Quarter Fiscal Year 2017 Financial Highlights
- Revenue: $191.8 million, growing 67% year-over-year from $114.7 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2016
- Billings: $234.1 million, growing 47% year-over-year from $159.5 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2016
- Net Loss: GAAP net loss of $112.0 million, compared to a GAAP net loss of $46.8 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2016; Non-GAAP net loss of $60.8 million, compared to a non-GAAP net loss of $40.4 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2016
- Net Loss Per Share: GAAP net loss per share of $0.78, compared to a pro forma GAAP net loss per share of $0.39 in the third quarter of fiscal 2016; Non-GAAP net loss per share of $0.42, compared to a pro forma non-GAAP net loss per share of $0.33 in the third quarter of fiscal 2016
- Cash and Short-term Investments: $350.3 million, up 83% from the third quarter of fiscal 2016
- Deferred Revenue: $463.0 million, up 102% from the third quarter of fiscal 2016
- Operating Cash Flow: $(16.0) million, compared to $2.4 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2016, reflecting a $(9.6) million outflow of operating cash related to the purchase of ESPP shares
- Free Cash Flow: $(29.2) million, compared to $(11.0) million in the third quarter of fiscal 2016, also reflecting a $(9.6) million outflow of operating cash related to the purchase of ESPP shares
Reconciliations between GAAP and non-GAAP financial measures and key performance measures are provided in the tables of this press release.
“We continue to execute on our strategy of building a cloud operating system that provides our customers maximum choice of hardware platforms. We recently established a partnership with IBM® to bring to market the industry’s first hyperconverged solution on Power Systems, and introduced support for HPE® ProLiant® and Cisco UCS® blade servers,” said Dheeraj Pandey, CEO, Nutanix. “Our third quarter results reflect our continued focus on the Global 2000 as well as a measurable improvement in the number of larger deals in the quarter, particularly in North America.”
Recent Company Highlights
- Continued Customer Growth: Nutanix ended the third quarter of fiscal 2017 with 6,172 end-customers, adding approximately 790 new end-customers during the quarter. Third quarter customer wins included Caterpillar Inc., KYOCERA Communication Systems Co., Ltd., MobileIron, SAIC Volkswagen, Société Générale, and Sprint.
- Added Support for New Hardware Platforms: The company announced plans to expand the supported hardware platforms for its enterprise cloud OS Software to include Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) ProLiant rackmount servers and Cisco UCS B-Series blade servers, allowing customers greater choice of hardware.
- Partnered with IBM for New HCI Solution: New partnership between Nutanix and IBM® will bring a turnkey hyperconverged solution combining Nutanix’s software and IBM Power Systems™ targeting high-performance workloads and one-click private clouds for large enterprises.
- Expanded Economic Consumption Model with Nutanix Go: Nutanix Go offers qualified U.S. customers a new pricing model that enables enterprises to build their cloud, from hardware to software, using operating budgets. This innovative economic model allows customers to break free of long-term capital budget commitments and align with the purchasing experience of the public cloud.
- Increased Number of $1 Million+ Deals: 34 customers with over $1 million in the quarter as a result of an increased focus on large deals.
- Announced Extensive Speaker Line-Up for Third Annual .NEXT Conference: Broad range of industry luminaries including Bill McDermott, CEO, SAP; Diane Greene, SVP Google Cloud; Adena Friedman, President and CEO, Nasdaq; Ashok Belani, Executive Vice President, Technology, Schlumberger; Chad Sakac, Dell EMC President, VCE – Converged Platform Division; Kirk Skaugen, EVP and President, Lenovo Datacenter Group; and Virginia Gambale, JetBlue Board Member.
Q4 Fiscal 2017 Financial Outlook
- For the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017, Nutanix expects:
- Revenues between $215 and $220 million;
- Non-GAAP gross margin of approximately 58%;
- Non-GAAP net loss per share of $0.38, using 152 million weighted shares outstanding.
Supplementary materials to this earnings release, including the company’s third quarter fiscal 2017 investor presentation, can be found at http://ir.nutanix.com/company/financial/.
All forward-looking non-GAAP financial measures contained in this section titled “Q4 Fiscal 2017 Financial Outlook” exclude stock-based compensation expense, and may also exclude, as applicable, other special items. The company has not reconciled guidance for non-GAAP gross margin and non-GAAP loss per share to their most directly comparable GAAP measures because such items that impact these measures are not within its control and are subject to constant change. While the actual amounts of such items will have a significant impact on the company’s non-GAAP gross margin and non-GAAP loss per share, a reconciliation of the non-GAAP financial measure guidance to the corresponding GAAP measures is not available without unreasonable effort.
Webcast and Conference Call Information
Nutanix executives will discuss the company’s third quarter fiscal 2017 financial results on a conference call at 4:30 p.m. Eastern time/1:30 p.m. Pacific time today. To listen to the call via telephone, dial 1-877-201-0168 in the United States or 1-647-788-4901 from outside the United States. The conference ID is 12015922. This call is being webcast live and is available to all interested parties on our Investor Relations website at ir.nutanix.com. Shortly after the conclusion of the conference call, a replay of the audio webcast will be available on the Nutanix Investor Relations website. A telephonic replay will be available for one week following the conference call at 1-800-585-8367 or 1-416-621-4642, conference ID 12015922.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures and Other Key Performance Measures
To supplement our condensed consolidated financial statements, which are prepared and presented in accordance with GAAP, we use the following non-GAAP financial and other key performance measures: billings, non-GAAP gross margin percentage, non-GAAP net loss, pro forma non-GAAP net loss per share, and free cash flow. In computing these non-GAAP financial measures, we exclude certain items such as stock-based compensation and the related income tax impact, costs associated with our acquisitions (such as amortization of acquired intangible assets, revaluation of contingent consideration, income tax related impact, and other acquisition-related costs), loss on debt extinguishment, and changes in the fair value of our preferred stock warrant liability. Billings is a performance measure which our management believes provides useful information to investors because it represents the amounts under binding purchase orders received by us during a given period that have been billed, and we calculate billings by adding the change in deferred revenue between the start and end of the period to total revenue recognized in the same period. Free cash flow is a performance measure that our management believes provides useful information to management and investors about the amount of cash generated by the business after necessary capital expenditures, and we define free cash flow as net cash (used in) provided by operating activities less purchases of property and equipment. We use these non-GAAP financial and key performance measures for financial and operational decision-making and as a means to evaluate period-to-period comparisons. Our management believes that these non-GAAP financial and key performance measures provide meaningful supplemental information regarding our performance and liquidity by excluding certain expenses and expenditures such as stock-based compensation expense that may not be indicative of our ongoing core business operating results. However, these non-GAAP financial and key performance measures have limitations as analytical tools, and you should not consider them in isolation or as substitutes for analysis of our results as reported under GAAP. Billings, non-GAAP gross margin percentage, non-GAAP net loss, pro forma non-GAAP net loss per share, and free cash flow are not substitutes for total revenue, gross profit, net loss, net loss per share, or net cash (used in) provided by operating activities, respectively. In addition, other companies, including companies in our industry, may calculate non-GAAP financial measures and key performance measures differently or may use other measures to evaluate their performance, all of which could reduce the usefulness of our non-GAAP financial measures and key performance measures as tools for comparison. We urge you to review the reconciliation of our non-GAAP financial measures and key performance measures to the most directly comparable GAAP financial measures included below in the tables captioned “Reconciliation of Revenue to Billings,” “Reconciliation of GAAP to Non-GAAP Profit Measures,” and “Reconciliation of GAAP Net Cash (Used In) Provided By Operating Activities to Non-GAAP Free Cash Flow,” and not to rely on any single financial measure to evaluate our business.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains express and implied forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements relating to our competitive differentiation, our plans and expectations relating to our relationship with IBM and the deployment of our software on, and interoperability of our software with, IBM Power Systems, HPE ProLiant servers, and Cisco UCS B-Series blade servers, and anticipated future financial results, including but not limited to our guidance on estimated revenues, non-GAAP gross margin, and non-GAAP net loss per share for future fiscal periods. These forward-looking statements are not historical facts, and instead are based on our current expectations, estimates, opinions and beliefs. Consequently, you should not rely on these forward-looking statements. The accuracy of such forward-looking statements depends upon future events, and involves risks, uncertainties and other factors beyond our control that may cause these statements to be inaccurate and cause our actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially and adversely from those anticipated or implied by such statements, including, among others: the rapid evolution of the markets in which we compete; our ability to sustain or manage future growth effectively; factors that could result in the significant fluctuation of our future quarterly operating results, including, among other things, our revenue mix, the timing and magnitude of orders, shipments and acceptance of our solutions in any given quarter, our ability to attract new and retain existing end-customers, changes in the pricing of certain components of our solutions, and fluctuations in demand and competitive pricing pressures for our solutions; the introduction, or acceleration of adoption of, competing solutions, including public cloud infrastructure; failure to develop, or unexpected difficulties or delays in developing, new product features or technology on a timely or cost-effective basis; and other risks detailed in our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended January 31, 2017, filed with the SEC on March 10, 2017. Additional information will also be set forth in our Form 10-Q that will be filed for the quarter ended April 30, 2017, which should be read in conjunction with these financial results. Our SEC filings are available on the Investor Relations section of the company’s website at ir.nutanix.com and on the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date of this press release and, except as required by law, we assume no obligation to update forward-looking statements to reflect actual results or subsequent events or circumstances.
Nutanix makes infrastructure invisible, elevating IT to focus on the applications and services that power their business. The Nutanix Enterprise Cloud Platform leverages web-scale engineering and consumer-grade design to natively converge compute, virtualization and storage into a resilient, software-defined solution with rich machine intelligence. The result is predictable performance, cloud-like infrastructure consumption, robust security, and seamless application mobility for a broad range of enterprise applications. Learn more at www.nutanix.com or follow us on Twitter @nutanix.
© 2017 Nutanix, Inc. All rights reserved. Nutanix®, the Enterprise Cloud Platform™ and the Nutanix logo are trademarks of Nutanix, Inc., registered or pending registration in the United States and other countries. Hewlett Packard Enterprise®, HPE® and ProLiant® are the registered trademarks of Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development LP and/or its affiliates. Cisco® and Cisco UCS® are the registered trademarks of Cisco Technology, Inc. IBM® and Power Systems™ are the trademarks of International Business Machines (IBM) and/or its affiliates. Nutanix is not associated with, sponsored or endorsed by HPE or Cisco. All other brand names mentioned herein are for identification purposes only and may be the trademarks of their respective holder(s).