- Revenue: $182.2 million, growing 77% year-over-year from $102.7 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2016
- Billings: $227.4 million, growing 59% year-over-year from $143.4 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2016
- Net Loss: GAAP net loss of $93.2 million, compared to a GAAP net loss of $33.2 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2016; Non-GAAP net loss of $39.9 million, compared to a non-GAAP net loss of $30.9 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2016
- Net Loss Per Share: GAAP net loss per share of $0.66, compared to a pro forma GAAP net loss per share of $0.28 in the second quarter of fiscal 2016; Non-GAAP net loss per share of $0.28, compared to a pro forma non-GAAP net loss per share of $0.26 in the second quarter of fiscal 2016
- Cash and Short-term Investments: $355.2 million, up 175% from the second quarter of fiscal 2016
- Deferred Revenue: $420.6 million, up 128% from the second quarter of fiscal 2016
- Operating Cash Flow: $19.8 million, compared to $4.5 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2016
- Free Cash Flow: $7.1 million, compared to $(5.9) million in the second quarter of fiscal 2016
Reconciliations between GAAP and non-GAAP financial measures and key performance measures are provided in the tables of this press release.
- Continued Customer Growth: Nutanix ended the second quarter of fiscal 2017 with over 5,380 end-customers, adding over 900 new end-customers during the quarter.
- Increasing AHV Adoption: The company continued to see strong adoption for its built-in hypervisor, AHV. Usage rose to 21%, up from 17% in the prior quarter, based on a four-quarter rolling average of nodes using AHV as a percent of total nodes sold.
- AHV Certified on SAP® Business Suite Powered by SAP NetWeaver: Nutanix customers are now able to simplify their infrastructure and virtualization stack when delivering business-critical SAP applications on the Nutanix Enterprise Cloud Platform.
- Awarded CRN® Product of the Year: The Nutanix Enterprise Cloud PlatformTM for Cisco® Unified Computing Systems (UCS) was named a winner in the 2016 Product of the Year Awards in the Hyperconverged Infrastructure category taking first place in two subcategories: Technology and Customer Demand.
- Nutanix Enterprise Cloud Platform Selected to Be a Part of a Large Contract by United States Navy Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command: As a subcontractor to Crown Point Systems, Nutanix will be part of a five-year, firm-fixed-price Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity contract with a total overall maximum value of $28.8 million to Crown Point, if all orders are exercised.
- Names New CIO: Wendy M. Pfeiffer, former vice president of IT at GoPro, was appointed chief information officer in January.
Q3 Fiscal 2017 Financial Outlook
- For the third quarter of fiscal 2017, Nutanix expects:
- Revenues between $180 and $190 million;
- Non-GAAP gross margin between 57% and 58%;
- Non-GAAP net loss per share between $0.45 and $0.48, using 144 million weighted shares outstanding.
Supplementary materials to this earnings release, including the company’s second quarter fiscal 2017 investor presentation, can be found at http://ir.nutanix.com/company/financial/.
All forward-looking non-GAAP financial measures contained in this section titled “Q3 Fiscal 2017 Financial Outlook” exclude stock-based compensation expense, and may also exclude, as applicable, other special items. The company has not reconciled guidance for non-GAAP gross margin and non-GAAP loss per share to their most directly comparable GAAP measures because such items that impact these measures are not within its control and are subject to constant change. While the actual amounts of such items will have a significant impact on the company’s non-GAAP gross margin and non-GAAP loss per share, a reconciliation of the non-GAAP financial measure guidance to the corresponding GAAP measures is not available without unreasonable effort.
Webcast and Conference Call Information
Nutanix executives will discuss the company’s second quarter fiscal 2017 financial results on a conference call at 5:00 p.m. Eastern time/2:00 p.m. Pacific time today. To listen to the call via telephone, dial 1-877-201-0168 in the United States or 1-647-788-4901 from outside the United States. The conference ID is 59841448. This call is being webcast live and is available to all interested parties on our Investor Relations website at ir.nutanix.com. Shortly after the conclusion of the conference call, a replay of the audio webcast will be available on the Nutanix Investor Relations website. A telephonic replay will be available for one week following the conference call at 1-800-585-8367 or 1-416- 621-4642, conference ID 59841448.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures and Other Key Performance Measures
To supplement our condensed consolidated financial statements, which are prepared and presented in accordance with GAAP, we use the following non-GAAP financial and other key performance measures: billings, non-GAAP gross margin percentage, non-GAAP net loss, pro forma non-GAAP net loss per share, and free cash flow. In computing these non-GAAP financial measures, we exclude certain items such as stock-based compensation and the related income tax impact, costs associated with our acquisitions (such as amortization of acquired intangible assets, revaluation of contingent consideration, income tax related impact, and other acquisition-related costs), loss on debt extinguishment, and changes in the fair value of our preferred stock warrant liability. Billings is a performance measure which our management believes provides useful information to investors because it represents the amounts under binding purchase orders received by us during a given period that have been billed, and we calculate billings by adding the change in deferred revenue between the start and end of the period to total revenue recognized in the same period. Free cash flow is a performance measure that our management believes provides useful information to management and investors about the amount of cash generated by the business after necessary capital expenditures, and we define free cash flow as net cash (used in) provided by operating activities less purchases of property and equipment. We use these non-GAAP financial and key performance measures for financial and operational decision-making and as a means to evaluate period-to-period comparisons. Our management believes that these non-GAAP financial measures provide meaningful supplemental information regarding our performance and liquidity by excluding certain expenses and expenditures such as stock-based compensation expense that may not be indicative of our ongoing core business operating results. However, these non-GAAP financial and key performance measures have limitations as analytical tools, and you should not consider them in isolation or as substitutes for analysis of our results as reported under GAAP. Billings, non-GAAP gross margin percentage, non-GAAP net loss, pro forma non-GAAP net loss per share, and free cash flow are not substitutes for total revenue, gross profit, net loss, net loss per share, or net cash (used in) provided by operating activities, respectively. In addition, other companies, including companies in our industry, may calculate non-GAAP financial measures and key performance measures differently or may use other measures to evaluate their performance, all of which could reduce the usefulness of our non-GAAP financial measures and key performance measures as tools for comparison. We urge you to review the reconciliation of our non-GAAP financial measures and key performance measures to the most directly comparable GAAP financial measures included below in the tables captioned “Reconciliation of Revenue to Billings,” “Reconciliation of GAAP to Non-GAAP Profit Measures,” and “Reconciliation of GAAP Net Cash (Used In) Provided By Operating Activities to Non-GAAP Free Cash Flow,” and not to rely on any single financial measure to evaluate our business.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains express and implied forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements relating to our competitive differentiation, our expectations relating to a contract awarded by the Navy Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command, including the execution and resulting value of any future orders under such contract, and anticipated future financial results, including but not limited to our annualized billings run rate, our guidance on estimated revenues, non-GAAP gross margin, and non-GAAP net loss per share for future fiscal periods. These forward-looking statements are not historical facts, and instead are based on our current expectations, estimates, opinions and beliefs. Consequently, you should not rely on these forward-looking statements. The accuracy of such forward-looking statements depends upon future events, and involves risks, uncertainties and other factors beyond our control that may cause these statements to be inaccurate and cause our actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially and adversely from those anticipated or implied by such statements, including, among others: the rapid evolution of the markets in which we compete; our ability to sustain or manage future growth effectively; factors that could result in the significant fluctuation of our future quarterly operating results, including, among other things, our revenue mix, the timing and magnitude of orders, shipments and acceptance of our solutions in any given quarter, our ability to attract new and retain existing end-customers, changes in the pricing of certain components of our solutions, and fluctuations in demand and competitive pricing pressures for our solutions; the introduction, or acceleration of adoption of, competing solutions, including public cloud infrastructure; changes in government fiscal or contracting policies, or decreases in available government spending; and other risks detailed in our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended October 31, 2016, filed with the SEC on December 8, 2016. Additional information will also be set forth in our Form 10-Q that will be filed for the quarter ended January 31, 2017, which should be read in conjunction with these financial results. Our SEC filings are available on the Investor Relations section of the company’s website at ir.nutanix.com and on the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date of this press release and, except as required by law, we assume no obligation to update forward-looking statements to reflect actual results or subsequent events or circumstances.
Nutanix is a global leader in cloud software and hyperconverged infrastructure solutions, making infrastructure invisible so that IT can focus on the applications and services that power their business. Companies around the world use Nutanix Enterprise Cloud OS software to bring one-click application management and mobility across public, private and distributed edge clouds so they can run any application at any scale with a dramatically lower total cost of ownership. The result is organizations that can rapidly deliver a high-performance IT environment on demand, giving application owners a true cloud-like experience. Learn more at www.nutanix.com or follow us on Twitter @nutanix.
© 2019 Nutanix, Inc. All rights reserved. Nutanix™ and the Nutanix logo are trademarks of Nutanix, Inc., registered in the United States and other countries. Cisco® and Cisco UCS® are the registered trademarks of Cisco Technology, Inc. Nutanix is not associated with, sponsored or endorsed by Cisco. All other brand names mentioned herein are for identification purposes only and may be the trademarks of their respective holder(s).