Nutanix Announces Acropolis and Prism to Deliver Invisible Infrastructure for Next-Generation Enterprise Computing
Innovative Application Mobility and One-Click Technologies Transform Infrastructure Capabilities and Elevate IT
MIAMI, FLORIDA – June 9, 2015 – Today at the .NEXT Conference, Nutanix unveiled its next-generation Xtreme Computing Platform (XCP) to deliver invisible infrastructure, enabling IT teams to focus on what matters to them — the applications and services that power their business. Comprised of two comprehensive product families, Nutanix Acropolis and Nutanix Prism, XCP extends the industry-leading hyperconverged solution to enable application independence from infrastructure with an advanced app mobility feature, native virtualization and consumer-grade search capability. These innovations greatly simplify the datacenter, reduce costs and enhance IT service delivery.
Today, many business applications run on traditional storage and virtualization products that are time consuming to deploy, expensive to manage, difficult to scale and challenging to migrate from. Enterprises need infrastructure that delivers cloud-like scalability, resiliency, agility and flexibility – but with lower costs, better application service levels, and trusted security. Nutanix XCP makes the entire infrastructure lifecycle invisible and diminishes the innovation and financial burden borne by users of existing datacenter solutions.
“The most transformative technologies are the ones we don’t even think about. They work all the time, scale on demand and self-heal. In other words, they are invisible,” said Dheeraj Pandey, CEO and founder of Nutanix. “Building on our foundations of web-scale engineering and consumer-grade design, we will make virtualization as invisible as we’ve made storage and elevate enterprise IT expectations yet again.”
“With a leading 52% market share in the hyperconverged infrastructure market, Nutanix has demonstrated its ability to radically simplify data storage for all size enterprises,” said Matt Eastwood, senior vice president of IDC. “Their next big opportunity is to tackle the inherent cost and complexity of legacy virtualization stacks, and elevate IT teams so they can focus on driving the business.”
Nutanix Acropolis builds on the core capabilities of the company’s flagship hyperconverged product to incorporate an innovative open platform for virtualization and application mobility. Acropolis offers IT professionals the flexibility to choose the best application platform technology for their organization – whether it is traditional hypervisors, emerging hypervisors or containers. With Nutanix Acropolis, infrastructure decisions can be made based on application performance and scalability and economic considerations, while allowing workloads to move more seamlessly without penalty should requirements change.
Nutanix Acropolis is comprised of three foundational components:
- Distributed Storage Fabric. Nutanix continues to add elegant software innovations to its leading hyperconverged infrastructure platform. Building on the highly respected Nutanix Distributed File System, the Acropolis Distributed Storage Fabric will enable common web-scale services across multiple storage protocols. Acropolis can now mount volumes as in-guest iSCSI storage for applications with specific storage protocol requirements such as Microsoft Exchange, unifying all workloads on a single infrastructure.
Acropolis also includes a robust implementation of erasure coding storage optimization, which is unique in a hyperconverged solution. Based on a patent-pending algorithm, Nutanix EC-X technology reduces the storage required for data replication by up to 75% compared to traditional mirroring techniques, and can be enabled on previously deployed Nutanix appliances with a simple software upgrade.
- App Mobility Fabric. The Acropolis App Mobility Fabric is a newly-designed open environment capable of delivering powerful virtual machine (VM) placement, VM migration, and VM conversion, as well as cross-hypervisor high availability and integrated disaster recovery. It supports most virtualized applications, and will provide a more seamless path to containers and hybrid cloud computing.
- Acropolis Hypervisor. While the Distributed Storage Fabric fully supports traditional hypervisors such as VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V, Acropolis also includes a native hypervisor based on the proven Linux KVM hypervisor. With enhanced security, self-healing capabilities based on SaltStack and enterprise-grade VM management, Acropolis Hypervisor delivers a better overall user experience at a lower TCO and will be the first hypervisor to plug into the App Mobility Fabric.
Prism is an enhanced solution from Nutanix that brings simplicity to infrastructure management. Prism features innovative One-Click technology that streamlines time-consuming IT tasks, and includes one-click software upgrades for more efficient maintenance, one-click insight for detailed capacity trend analysis and planning and one-click troubleshooting for rapid issue identification and resolution.
Nutanix Prism delivers better value to IT administrators as a result of:
- Convergence of storage, compute and virtualization resources into a unified system to provide an end-to-end view of all workflows – something difficult to achieve with legacy three-tier architectures;
- Advanced machine learning technology with built-in heuristics and business intelligence to easily and quickly mine large volumes of system data and generate actionable insights for enhancing all aspects of infrastructure performance; and
- True consumer-grade user experience with sophisticated search technology that makes management tasks elegantly simple and intuitive, with no need for specialized training.
Nutanix is proud to have the explicit support from a large community of technology leaders, all of whom recognize the need to drive down datacenter cost and complexity. Nutanix and its ecosystem partners have completed extensive testing to ensure that applications and guest operating systems run on Nutanix Acropolis and Acropolis Hypervisor with no change to VMs.
Nutanix Acropolis and Prism are available today. For more information on the Xtreme Computing Platform, please visit nutanix.com/invisible-infrastructure.
If you missed the sold-out .NEXT conference, join Nutanix in 100 cities across the globe for .NEXT On Tour. Pre-register now at nutanix.com/NEXTtour.
Nutanix delivers invisible infrastructure for next-generation enterprise computing, elevating IT to focus on the applications and services that power their business. The company’s software-driven Xtreme Computing Platform natively converges compute, virtualization and storage into a single solution to drive simplicity in the datacenter. Using Nutanix, customers benefit from predictable performance, linear scalability and cloud-like infrastructure consumption. Learn more at www.nutanix.com or follow up on Twitter @nutanix.
"Since the initial launch six months ago, we’re seeing substantial customer interest in the Dell XC Series, our hyperconverged appliances powered by Nutanix software on Dell PowerEdge server technology. The redefined Nutanix Xtreme Computing Platform fully complements Dell’s strategy to deliver solutions that fundamentally simplify IT and support a variety of customer workloads today with a path towards the future."
– Alan Atkinson, vice president and general manager, Dell Storage
"The Nutanix Acropolis architecture will provide organizations the operational flexibility they seek by supporting applications that run on and migrate to any type of VM and through integration with Docker, these same applications can be seamlessly containerized to accelerate the entire development lifecycle."
– David Messina, SVP, Marketing, Docker
"Enterprises and service providers today demand scalable, flexible datacenter technologies that can ensure optimal performance and security for network-delivered applications like Citrix XenDesktop and XenApp. Citrix NetScaler with TriScale technology is the most advanced application delivery controller for cloud environments and is deployed as a flexible software-based virtual appliance on the Nutanix Virtual Computing Platform. Together, this delivers a powerful integrated solution for the world’s largest enterprises and cloud service providers."
– Nand Mulchandani, VP, Market Development, Delivery Networks and Cloud at Citrix
"Avaya is on the forefront of engagement and networking solutions for enterprises. Our customers are virtualizing team and customer engagement solutions to drive consolidation and improve operating efficiency. Avaya is extending this efficiency to the network fabric with server attachment automation. We look forward to working with Nutanix to deliver best-in-class solutions that allow for interoperability and future integration of our unified communications and networking with Nutanix compute, storage and virtualization for a truly simplified IT infrastructure that drives real cost savings."
– Jean Turgeon, Vice President and Chief Technologist, Software Defined Architecture, Avaya
"Ubuntu is the operating system of choice for enterprise and carrier customers building clouds. The Nutanix solution complements the Ubuntu OS with simple, scalable infrastructure, enabling improved service delivery, simplified operations and streamlined capital investments. The Nutanix Acropolis hypervisor has been thoroughly tested and validated as a robust platform for virtual machines running Ubuntu as a guest operating system. Canonical and Nutanix is a great partnership for customer focused on cloud."
– John Zannos, VP of Cloud Channels and Alliances, Canonical
"Commvault and Nutanix share a commitment to drive up efficiency and drive down costs in the enterprise datacenter. Commvault’s data management vision for a single software platform architecture is a natural fit for web-scale hyper converged architecture. The latest version of the Nutanix Virtual Computing Platform, with its built-in hypervisor and virtualization management capabilities, provides new opportunities for further integration between our solutions. This will allow us to deliver a joint solution for application-centric infrastructure and data protection to help bring additional value to our shared customers."
– Brian Allison, VP of Worldwide Alliances at Commvault
"Nutanix’s enterprise infrastructure is built on a foundation of open source web-scale technologies. The company is also working with the powerful KVM open source hypervisor by integrating it into its infrastructure platform and making it simple to manage. We are pleased to see Nutanix supporting the open source projects it uses in their products, and we look forward to working with them as a member of The Linux Foundation."
– Amanda McPherson, Chief Marketing Officer, Linux Foundation
"SUSE, an open source software pioneer, is excited to welcome Nutanix to our ecosystem of partners. Together, we will provide reliable, interoperable Linux, cloud and storage solutions that give enterprises greater agility and control. Customers can now take advantage of innovative solutions that benefit from our decades of engineering excellence and Nutanix’s clear market leadership."
– Michael Miller, Vice President Global Alliances & Marketing, SUSE
© 2015 Nutanix, Inc. All rights reserved. Nutanix is a trademark of Nutanix, Inc., registered in the United States and other countries. All other brand names mentioned herein are for identification purposes only and may be the trademarks of their respective holder(s).