The close of the year is a time for reflection. It’s also a time to look forward to the promise of the what’s to come. In that spirit, we thought it would be interesting to share a few ideas we believe will be important in 2019 and beyond. Here are just a few of the trends our team believes will have an impact on infrastructure and technology in the next few years:
- Infrastructure will miniaturize and decentralize in 2019 and beyond
- Global trends like tariff and immigration wars, GDPR-like sovereignty movements and IoT will converge, leading to more decentralized and miniaturized infrastructure. As a result, hybrid consumption models for IT where enterprise agreements straddle both on-prem and off-prem consumption will emerge
- Escalating cyber wars will expedite the virtualization of security perimeters
- As cyber becomes the next battlefront of geopolitical warfare, technologies like microsegmentation, cloud brokers (CASB) and cloud-based security will become mainstream
- The increasing sophistication of AI will shift technology from automation to autonomic operations, but AI itself will remain an unsolved problem
- Data and machine learning will come together to make machine ‘recognition’ of all types possible, with image recognition becoming the killer app for IoT. And infrastructure operations that are slowly being automated will shift toward self-management. But the true promise of AI will still remain elusive.
These are just a few of the macro trends we believe will have an impact on every aspect of our technology lives in the coming years. At Nutanix, we’re already poised to help our customers navigate these trends at every level of their business, from simplifying complex hybrid infrastructure to enabling them to take advantage of the increasing shift toward autonomic operations.
It remains to be seen how these trends will evolve over the next few years (and how close we came to predicting the future!). But one thing is certain – we’re in for a massive shift in the way we think about and experience the technology around us.
© 2018 Nutanix, Inc. All rights reserved. Nutanix, the Nutanix logo and the other Nutanix products and features mentioned herein are registered trademarks or trademarks of Nutanix, Inc. in the United States and other countries. All other brand names mentioned herein are for identification purposes only and may be the trademarks of their respective holder(s).