Are you looking for a chance to kick back and join the community conversation at VMworld, but there’s so much happening that it’s hard to streamline your schedule and maximize your fun? In addition to the sessions that stand out to you and the vendor booths that you want to visit, here’s a snapshot of the in-person community activities that I highly recommend you attend throughout the week:
- Sun, Aug. 24 (two sessions: 10am-12pm & 2-4pm) – Nutanix is hosting a VCDX Study Lounge at the Palace Hotel near Moscone! If you’re working on your VCDX application and/or planning to defend in the future, you WON’T want to miss this workshop! There will be an open discussion with existing VCDXs to help you learn more about the program and what goes into a successful VCDX submission. If you are already a VCDX, we encourage you to drop by, as well, to contribute to the community, show your support, and engage with your peers. Check out John Troyer’s blog post for more details.
- Sun, Aug. 24 (3pm-5pm) – Nutanix is sponsoring the one & only #v0dgeball for Charity event! Our team of 10, “The Untouchaballs” includes these talented players: Steve Poitras, Tommy Gustaveson , Bill Hussain, Avinash Shetty, Adam Moreland, Howard Ting, Sarah Belete, Garrett Thomas, Nikita Maheshwari, and Declan Waters, and I’ll be the captain. It’ll take place at the SOMA Rec Center on the corner of Folsom and 6th Street.
- Mon, Aug. 25 (7-11pm) – Nutanix is sponsoring the epic #vFlipCup community event at Folsom Street Foundry (1425 Folsom St)! We’ll tweet, compete, and party at this alcohol-optional corporate shindig. Join Us and root for your favorites!
- Mon, Aug. 25 (8-11:30pm) – The Nutanix Party – The buzz is that this is one of the hottest tickets of the week and it was “sold out” just a few days after we announced it. It’s the “Wanna Be Web-Scalin’ Somethin'” party to honor the greatest pop legend the 80’s had to offer, at Mezzanine — 444 Jessie St. Email me with subject “Nutanix Party” & I’ll put you on the waiting list.
- Tue, Aug. 26 (3-4pm) – Join us for the Snack Time Surprise Social! What’s the catch? We’re not telling you when or where… the lucky participants will be in the right place at the right time. But here’s a clue… it’ll happen at a community-related location!
- Wed, Aug. 27 (12-2pm) – Take a lunch break and join us for the Web-Scale Wednesday Community All-Stars Lunch! This exclusive event is invite-only, but if you’re an active community member & you’d like to join us, email me with subject “Web-Scale Wed,” and I’ll try my best to squeeze you in. 🙂
- Nutanix Next Cam – mobile interviews by John Troyer (formerly at VMware, currently at TechReckoning).
- Ask the Experts – Come by the Nutanix booth (#1535) to get some guidance, vet your project, or just catch up with in-house Nutanix, VMware, Citrix, Oracle, Cisco, and Microsoft certified experts, such as:
- Steven Poitras: Longtime Nutanix guru and writer of the Nutanix Bible.
- Michael Webster: Industry expert on “Monster VMs” and virtualizing Business Critical Applications such as Oracle, SQL, and JAVA EE. Recently published Virtualizing SQL Server with VMware. Author of longwhiteclouds.com.
- Dwayne Lessner: Knows all the dirt on our competition, and also our key author on deploying Horizon 6 on Nutanix. Author of itbloodpressure.com.
- Andre Leibovici: EUC expert and co-author of VMware View Virtualization Solutions. Author of myvirtualcloud.net.
- Josh Odgers: Microsoft Exchange and scalable VMware architecture design expert. CloudXC and author of joshodgers.com.
- Derek Seaman: Microsoft and VMware technology expert. Popular vBlogger and author of derekseaman.com.
- Next Theater – Come by the Nutanix booth (#1535) to participate in one of our live sessions at the Next Theater… here’s the full schedule!
- Community Lounge – Plan to spend time in the Hang Space (next to General Session theater) to network, blog, post content, charge devices and relax.
Here’s how to stay in the know…
- Check out the Making Web-Scale Waves at VMworld 2014 blog post by Mark Fischer
- Follow Nutanix on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Google+ … and remember to tag your tweets & posts with #webscale! Also visit with us on the Nutanix Next Community
- Visit the VMworld 2014 Social Media & Community site