The organizational role of the IT department has expanded far beyond a neatly contained cluster of traditional systems like e-mail and on-prem business applications based on relational databases. Modern IT departments are expected to implement and support technology solutions to sustain virtually every phase of enterprise activity.
With core enterprise operations evolving to take advantage of agile development processes, and functions like business analytics moving to private and hybrid clouds at an accelerating pace, IT departments are evolving from an enterprise technology support role to an enterprise technology partner model.
Today’s enterprises charge IT departments with managing core organizational workloads including:
- Business Critical Applications: support, scaling, data protection and cost management for popular databases and applications like Microsoft SQL Server and Dynamics, Oracle E-Business Suite, and SAP Business Suite.
- Messaging, Collaboration, Unified Communication: the ubiquity of solutions like SharePoint, Cisco UC, and Skype for Business ties overall business productivity tightly to IT’s ability to manage these core communication systems.
- Virtualization and Private Cloud: the ever-growing need for agile, cost-effective service delivery gives IT departments responsibility for a diverse array of virtualized applications. Meanwhile, private cloud solutions are offering new options for automated datacenter management and unprecedented self-service capabilities for developers and line-of-business managers.
- Big Data and Cloud-Native/Mode 2 Apps: the need for flexible scaling and quickly deployable proofs of concept is driving the adoption of cloud-native apps and data analysis environments.
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure/Application Virtualization: VDI and app virtualization drive tangible reductions in overhead and open up new possibilities for centralized management of user devices. Virtual desktops, however, tend toward inconsistent workloads that add another layer of management complexity for IT professionals.
- Remote and Branch Office Support: Remote and Branch Offices present a unique technology management challenge, often requiring full-stack infrastructure capabilities at a scale that renders full-scale traditional implementations cost-ineffective.
We designed the Nutanix Enterprise Cloud Platform from the ground up with these modern IT workflows in mind. Based on extensive ground-level experience managing transitions to an agile enterprise cloud with a full suite of capabilities, we’ve collected some core insights and evidence into a free, practical guide.
To learn more about Enterprise Cloud solutions for core enterprise workflows, check out Nutanix Solutions Pocket Book.
© 2018 Nutanix, Inc. All rights reserved. Nutanix and the Nutanix logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Nutanix, Inc. in the United States and other countries. All other brand names mentioned herein are for identification purposes only and may be the trademarks of their respective holder(s).