Announcing General Availability of Nutanix Operating System 4.1
The latest release of the Nutanix Operating System, NOS 4.1, is available today. This release offers rich enterprise capabilities to meet the needs of the most demanding applications and critical infrastructure requirements in the datacenter.
We’ve written about the new capabilities in previous blogs. Here’s a summary of what’s new in this release.
- Metro Availability: Nutanix Metro Availability provides continuous data availability for business-critical applications during planned maintenance or unplanned disasters that affect entire sites. Nutanix is the only hyperconverged infrastructure vendor to deliver continuous data protection across multiple datacenters. You can read more about Metro Availability here and here.
- Cloud Connect: Nutanix Cloud Connect seamlessly integrates public cloud services, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), with Nutanix-powered private cloud environments. It allows Nutanix customers to combine private and public cloud technology into their long-term infrastructure strategy without requiring third-party software or hard to maintain plug-ins. Read more about Cloud Connect here and here.
- Encryption Support: Nutanix now provides strong data protection by encrypting user and application data to a level of FIPS 140-2 Level 2 compliance. Data at rest encryption is delivered through self-encrypting drives (SED) that are factory-installed in the Nutanix hyperconverged appliance. Find out more here.
- Simplified Hypervisor Upgrade: Nutanix radically simplifies the process of upgrading the hypervisor in a Nutanix cluster with this new feature. This release will support upgrade of VMware ESXi and Microsoft Hyper-V, with KVM support coming soon (CORRECTION: KVM support is included as well – complete hypervisor parity). You can read about it here.
- Security/STIG Enhancements: Nutanix has developed its own comprehensive security technical implementation guides (STIGs) to speed up the accreditation process for DIACAP/DIARMF, which is typically slow and manual. A process that typically takes nine to twelve months can now be accomplished in minutes. Learn more here.
All current customers will be able to get this new functionality with a simple software upgrade, no forklifts or downtime required. The one-click NOS upgrade capability released in NOS 4.0 made this process even simpler.
This is a big step forward for the Nutanix platform, and team is hard at work on what’s coming next. Stay tuned!