In today’s budget-constrained environment, the U.S. federal government has attempted to make computing more efficient and less expensive by reducing the size of its data center portfolio. Since the Federal Data Center Consolidation Initiative (FDCCI) was first launched in 2010, efforts to close hundreds of data centers and streamline government IT operations have fallen short of the goal set by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). This has forced government officials to look at data center consolidation in a different way – changing the focus from reducing the overall number of government data centers to reducing the cost of data center ownership. This represents a fundamental shift in focus from data center consolidation to transformation.
The Nutanix Solution for the Federal Government
Nutanix offers a perfect solution to meet OMB’s new requirements for the government’s NextGen data centers. The Nutanix Virtual Computing Platform can transform any data center from an unwieldy, expensive, overcomplicated IT infrastructure to an efficient, cost- effective virtualization endeavor, enabling government agencies to successfully meet their missions.
- Nutanix enables the federal government to operate more efficiently and cost-effectively by providing hyper-efficient, massively scalable and elegantly simple data center infrastructure solutions.
- Nutanix solutions are easy to implement, delivering increased time to value and providing near immediate return on investment.
- Nutanix is a pioneer of converged infrastructure, eliminating the need for complex storage networks and central storage systems.
- Nutanix can reinvent the government data center by leveraging many of the advanced software technologies that power leading Web-scale and cloud infrastructures, such as Google, Facebook and Amazon.
- Nutanix has 60+ government customers worldwide, indicating experience and a strong understanding of the government environment.
Designed for Secure Operation
Information Assurance is a high priority, and the coveted authority to operate needed to be considered “ready” for Government use is a 9 to 12 month process. Complex multi-vendor integrated solutions take enormous time and effort, and require third parties, adding additional time and cost.
All of this prevents access to innovation, and forces technology to be frozen – unable to adapt to changes in the modern world of cyber threats. Government agencies require a simpler approach, one in which the technology they acquire supplies defense in depth, hardening automation, proactive security patching, and published documentation as part of it’s design.
Security process is part of the Nutanix development DNA. Nutanix combines powerful features, such as two-factor authentication and data-at-rest encryption, with a security development lifecycle that is integrated into product development to help customers meet the most stringent security requirements.
Nutanix hyperconverged systems are certified across a broad set of evaluation programs to ensure compliance with the strictest standards. With innovation such as developing security technical implementation guides (STIGs) in the open XCCDF.xml format to support the Security Content Automation Protocol (SCAP) standard, Nutanix can speed up deployments while meeting requirements for DIACAP/DIARMF assessment and authorization.
Resources for Federal Government IT Pros